by Usman Alabi
Kano State on Wednesday joined the league of states with light rail project, when it signed contracts valued at $1.8bn with China Railway Construction Group C18 for the construction of light rail line in the state. Governor Abdullahi Ganduje signed the contract in a brief ceremony on Wednesday in Kano.
The Governor said the first phase of the construction was billed to take two years, while the second phase of the four-line rail was expected to take another two years. Ganduje added that the project would improve the transport system within the state, as well as drive economic activities in the state.
He further explained that “the project is part of a grand design to upgrade Kano to the status of a truly great city, as it will significantly ease movement of goods and services.
“Upon completion, the light rail is expected to cover Janguza-Bata, Jogana-Bata, Dawanau-Bata and Kwanar Dawaki-Bata routes in Kano city.”
The governor added that Chinese Bank would provide 85 percent of the total sum, while the Kano State Government would pay the remaining 15 percent.
He said that the first phase of the project from Dawanau to Bata would cost 555 million Dollars.
The Chairman of the company, Ben Shinxo, assured the state government of the company’s readiness to complete the projects in two years.
What do you think about this project in Kano, beyond construction, do you think Kano has what it takes to maintain this infrastructure? Leave your comments behind.